Parlatuvier Bay
London Arch
the maverick wreck

This purpose-sunk wreck was a former passenger ferry that travelled between Trinidad and Tobago.

Originally named the Scarlet Ibis, it went into service in 1959 and was retired in 1975.

After being thoroughly cleaned of pollutants, hatches and other entrapments removed, the Association of Tobago Dive Operators (ATDO) scuttled it on April 7, 1997.

The Maverick now sits upright on a sandy seabed at 100 feet with its bow pointing almost due north. 

Descending the mooring line at the stern, you pass through an enormous school of mackerel scads that provide food for the many almaco jacks, horse-eye jacks and rainbow runners.

At 50 feet, the top of the wreck is carpeted with white telesto and bright, colourful encrusting sponges. Large grey and dogtooth snapper along with thousands of brown and blue chromis, Creole wrasse and Creolefish are found here.

The pilothouse is at 60 feet and entry is accessed from the many openings to the front. The passenger cabins are located aft of the pilothouse.

The wide cargo deck is easily accessed through an open hatch at the bow or the wide-open area at the stern. There is an enormous resident bait ball inside the car deck. 

Entry into the engine room can be done through several large hatches on the main car deck. A dive light is highly recommended for exploration and proper training and supervision is necessary before entry into this area of the ship. 

Beneath the stern, look for teardrop snappers and large spiny lobsters near the propeller shaft. Other residents include coney, morays, grunts, schools of Atlantic spadefish, cobias and southern sennet. 

Look for cleaning stations at the bow and stern where Pederson cleaning shrimp and sharknose gobies are diligently at work. The hull and exposed decks are encrusted with tunicates, sponges and literally thousands of Atlantic thorny oysters.


Back to top